My future in-laws came into town last weekend. The whole gang -- mom, dad, Florida grandparents, Texas grandfather (and lady-friend), and sis and her boyfriend. Several of the grandparents have August birthdays, so after a nice dinner at Founding Farmers, everyone came back to our apartment for birthday desserts.
Adam and I thought we'd buy one dessert and make another. So I ordered a small three-layer Brown Velvet cake from CakeLove. Brown Velvet is one of their signature flavors -- it's red velvet without all the food coloring, so basically a simple buttermilk chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. When we went to pick up the cake, aside from impulse-purchasing three cupcakes at ten-thirty in the morning (brown velvet for Adam, vanilla cake with blueberry buttercream for me, and gluten-free chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream for Stefanie), we were assisted by CakeLove founder and Food Network show host Warren Brown.
I love that we actually see him working at his shop. Besides being delightfully down-to-earth, it also shows customers that he actually enjoys the business he went into. As he bagged up our cake boxes, he told me he approved of my willingness to forgo the red dye in my order.
------------------------------------------
Me: "Yeah, I just love the flavor of red velvet, but all that dye! It's... it's..."
Warren Brown: "...it's gross."
------------------------------------------
Well, Warren -- when you're right, you're right.
Stay tuned for tomorrow when we'll talk about the dessert that I made for the in-laws!
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
uh oh...i might have already posted about said dessert
hehe
No worries! I love hearing two sides of a story... especially when that story is about cake.
PS I miss your blog posts.
Post a Comment