Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Bride-Friendly" Food

This past spring, as soon as I changed my facebook relationship status from "In a Relationship" to "Engaged," all of my facebook ads were for bridal diets (and skin treatments, and teeth whitening). As if to say, "Well, he loved you enough to propose, but unless you make some drastic changes, the wedding will be off." Wow, facebook ads, you're right! It must be a miracle that someone could tolerate dull-toothed me enough to propose. I'd better get my ass in gear; I have a lot of work to do!

All jokes aside, I really don't think dieting for a wedding is a stellar idea... unless, of course, you're using the engagement as a motivating nudge to obtain a healthier lifestyle, in which case, bravo! But for your "dream dress"? Not so much.

Adam and I recently went to a dinner party thrown by a sweet, eccentric couple. The other two attendees were an engaged couple set to marry in a month or two. Conversation mostly revolved around foreign travel, and not weddings, although the topic did come up a few times.

After dinner, the hostess got up from the table to prepare dessert, looking at me and the other young lady at the table and commenting, "It's bride-friendly!" The dessert -- cantaloupe chunks in cardamom-spiced syrup -- was delicious and, indeed, bride-friendly.

Well, I suppose I don't have a problem with eating healthily. In fact, that's a goal I can definitely get behind. But I'll be damned if I let a social networking site tell me how white my teeth should be.

No comments: