Monday, July 13, 2009

Shrimp Scampi

For my first real post on this new blog, I thought I'd take inspiration from Adam's sister Molly (WHAT UP, MOLLY!).

Mmmmmm...

Last Friday I made shrimp scampi with parmesan orzo and sautéed asparagus, and this recipe's definitely a keeper. The shrimp came out perfectly cooked and seasoned, it didn't require a thousand ingredients, and it was just as delicious the second day.

I think it was a hit.

If you have a kitchen helper, great! This recipe is not difficult, but it does have a lot of culinary balls in the air, so to speak. The shrimp and the asparagus ended up needing crucial attention at the same time, so I had my sous chef (Adam) take over the veggies.


Lemon Pepper Shrimp Scampi with Parmesan Orzo and Sautéed Asparagus
via Cooking Light Magazine, adapted slightly

1 cup uncooked orzo
¼ teaspoon salt
7 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
1 ½ pounds peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp (may be frozen)
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
2 small-to-medium cloves garlic, pressed
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
grated parmesan or romano cheese to taste
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Pre-Step: If your shrimp is frozen, thaw according to package directions. I got mine at Trader Joe's, and the directions had me place the shrimp in a strainer, and run cool water over them for 7 minutes, then drain for 2 more minutes.

Step 1: Cook orzo according to package directions; drain and place in medium bowl. Stir in salt, pepper, and grated parmesan or romano to taste. Cover to keep warm, and set aside.

Step 2: While orzo cooks, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with ¼ teaspoon salt. Add half of shrimp to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until almost done (in this case, their 2 minutes was perfect). Transfer shrimp to a plate. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan. Add remaining shrimp to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until almost done (again, 2 was perfect). Transfer to plate.

Step 3: Sometime during all the shrimp sautéing (scientific, I know), heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in another large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus pieces, sauté 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. If you're busy with the shrimp, have your kitchen helper do this part.

Step 4: Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in pan. Add garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp, juice, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done (once more, their timing was perfect).

Serves approximately 4. Enjoy!

No comments: