Monday, July 20, 2009

Horseradish Mayonnaise

This post is going to make you think that I work for Trader Joe's. I don't. But it is one of my all-time favorite stores -- they have such unique edibles, and inarguably the best snacks around. On our most recent shopping trip, Adam discovered their Wasabi Mayonnaise and was really excited to try it.

It's wonderful, and very hot. Last week we made tuna melts, with the wasabi mayo in place of regular mayo in the tuna salad. And oh my god, it literally cleared my sinuses and made my nose run. When used in that quantity, it is HOT. It was delicious but a bit too intense for my delicate sensibilities. I recommend cutting it with regular mayo -- I made salmon salad with it this past weekend, and did more of a 1:3 ratio, wasabi to regular. Absolutely delicious, but a little bit goes a long way!

Feelin' hot hot hot!

The Trader Joe's clerk said it would also be well-suited for beef dishes, such as tri-tip or skirt steak. For our 4th of July housewarming/engagement party, I made a similar mayo using white horseradish (and rosemary), for roast beef and Irish cheddar sandwiches. If you're bored with your usual sandwich routine, whip up a quick batch of this spread; it is guaranteed to wake you right up.

Or just buy some wasabi mayo from Joe's. Guaranteed to clear the cobwebs from your head.


Horseradish and Rosemary Mayonnaise
via Bon Appetít

⅓ cup mayonnaise (I used light mayo, and you couldn't tell)

1 ½ tablespoons white horseradish (adjust to your heat tolerance)
1 teaspoon
chopped fresh rosemary, or ½ teaspoon dried

Step 1: Mix ingredients together.

Step 2: Apply to previously boring sandwich and wait for your taste buds to sing!

No comments: