Thursday, July 16, 2009

Black Bean Burgers

Don't get me wrong, I love meat. But once in a while it's a nice change, not to mention cheap and nutritious, to cook vegetarian meals. An old roommate of mine used to make these black bean burgers, and they are so freaking delicious and satisfying you won't miss the animal protein, I promise. I mean, it's fast and easy, has lots of spice, onions, melted cheese -- what more could you ask for?

Check out that melty cheese action.


Black Bean Burgers
We consider this one a family recipe... to be honest, I have no idea where it came from.

1 (15 or 16 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
½ red bell pepper, cut into several large pieces
½ sweet onion, cut into large wedges
1 medium garlic clove, peeled
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
½ cup bread crumbs (plus extra to get the right consistency)
Sliced cheese (I recommend pepper jack)
Condiments
Burger buns

Step 1: Preheat oven to 375°F, and lightly oil a baking sheet.

Step 2: In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.

Step 3: In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir into mashed beans.

Step 4: In a small bowl, stir together egg yolks, chili powder, and cumin. Stir into bean mixture.

Step 5: Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky enough to hold together. Divide mixture into four balls and smash flat to patties.

Step 6: Place patties on baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes on each side. Add cheese slices halfway through the second side.

Serving suggestions: Soft potato buns, garlic mustard, ketchup; or bunless with a dollop of sour cream on top.

No comments: