Muchas cremalleras = many zippers
So. I have this project that's sort of time-sensitive. What kind of project, you ask? One I can't go into too much detail for, because it involves my cousin who may or may not occasionally read this blog. Suffice it to say I needed a very specific craft supply, and there was a little hurdle in me finding it. What was it again? ...oh yes. I just moved to Spain.
Miracles of miracles, I was able to find a Spanish craft store via Google, and after metroing downtown just to find it closed one day, I was finally able to go during business hours. Here came the tricky part.
I speak Spanish. I have an official State Department language score, which may not mean much to anyone but the federal government, but my score is not too shabby. However, I didn't exactly learn a lot of crafting vocabulary in my Spanish for Diplomats classes at the Foreign Service Institute. So I looked up a few words in my dictionary, jotted them down in a mini-notebook, and hoped for the best. Here's what transpired (all in Spanish).
________________________________________
Me: Excuse me? I'm looking for... I'm sorry, Spanish isn't my first language... I don't know exactly what it's called... but I'm looking for a hoop, or a circle, made of wood... for embroidery?
Clerk: We don't have that.
Me [crestfallen]: Oh. Okay. Do you know where I could find one?
Clerk: Yes, there's a store a few blocks from here. [At this point he pulls out the shop's business card, flips it over, and begins drawing me a map.] Okay, we're here. This street here is Calle de la Cruz. This street here is Calle de la Paz. And the store is here.
________________________________________
I thanked him, took the map, and headed out. A few minutes later I was standing in the midst of what seemed to be the garment district, in front of his recommendation. Not a store, per se, but more a collection of craft vendors in an enclosed space, not unlike the Mercado de San Miguel, but for thread and trim and lace instead of ham and fruit and oysters. I walked around the vendors until I spotted the embroidery hoop I desired, plunked down two euro, and hightailed it outta there, still proud of my highly specific yet ultimately successful communication.
Language, man. It's a crazy thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment