Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kitchen Humility

No cook is perfect. I don't generally post my kitchen flops because, well, no one wants to read a crappy recipe, amiright?

But, for those of you who think everything I cook turns to gold (cough cough MIKE cough), I'm here to let you in on a little secret... it don't.

Tonight I made one of my old standbys; one of my favorites, really. A recipe I can practically make in my sleep. And it was bad, you guys. It was monumentally, EPICALLY bad. It was choke-one-burger-down-and-throw-the-rest-away bad. (And I hate wasting food, so if I throw away three meals' worth of food, well, I think that gives you an accurate picture of the revulsion.)

I think I used too much onion. Correction: I KNOW I used too much onion. I sailed right past the bad-taste-in-your-mouth onion level and landed squarely on the I-feel-sorta-queasy onion level. Note to self: black bean burgers should never crunch. *shudder*

Why am I providing you with this immense overshare? Because humility is a good thing. Of course, a culinary flop that happens the first time in months that you actually feel like cooking, after getting home at 8pm and not sitting down to said crappy meal until 9pm?

Well, that just plain sucks.

1 comment:

Mike said...

omg this happens to me approximately once a week! barbecue cups are HARD, y'all! :)