Sunday, March 14, 2010

Preview: Top 5 Amazing Things About Saudi Arabia

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA. I finally started a new job, which is exciting but required quite a bit of prep-work. But I'm back -- let's get back to my trip abroad for a hot minute.

It's fairly obvious what I might find less than desirable about Saudi Arabia. Namely, that I had to wear an abaya and headscarf when leaving the diplomatic quarter (which was mildly uncomfortable in February, let alone in the lengthy, 120° summers -- oh, those brave, overheated ladies). And more globally: that women can't drive, go out in public alone, work or go to college except in rare circumstances, or appear anywhere with a man who isn't her father, brother, or husband.

As an American woman, this is still hard to wrap my head around, since American women famously do pretty much whatever the hell they want. (I mean, we're a country that gave the playboy bunnies their own TV show.) But I wanted to take a few posts to let you in on some of the more amazing things about the magical kingdom, since Riyadh felt much less restrictive than I expected, and had quite a few hidden treasures tucked within its borders.

So I've created a list of my Top Five Amazing Things About Saudi Arabia for your reading pleasure. Come with me, dear friends, as I recount some delightful aspects of this perplexing region!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I like where this is going